Wilson Library Historic Building Roof Repair
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill | Chapel Hill, NC
Wilson Library on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill needed replacement of portions of the existing roof system, installation of fall protection anchors, and partial building exterior repairs. This historic building with its signature dome roof provided challenges for replacement of the roofing system, as well as the addition of fall protection that would be up to current codes.
Atlas' Registered Roof Consultants and principal engineer designed the repairs and fall protection, handled the bidding process, followed up through the construction administration phase and finished with the final closeout.
This project spanned:
• Restoration/repair of limestone panels and joints at the 1977 Addition.
• Installation of fall protection systems at the existing roofs
• Replacement of the existing slate roofs at the 1952 Addition wings and the 1929 Stacks.
• Repair of the existing slate roofs and copper gutter at the 1929 Addition.
• Replacement of the 1929 Dome and Dome Pedestal roof systems.
Fieldwork performed at the dome roof was carefully coordinated with building personnel to minimize any disruption to the building occupants beneath the roof areas.